Monday, November 5, 2012

Arundhati Roy

So many times I find myself dwarfed by my dreams, my hope for the future and where I see myself down the winding paths of life. Small is the word I would use. I am just one of millions of soon to be college graduates who are passionate about the world, human relations, cultural connections, and the list goes on. Constantly I seek reminders that inspire me to dream on, to imagine myself outside of this small bubble of a reality that has so temporarily "molded me" to be who I am. Words like these of Arundhati Roy, an Indian author and political activist remind me that the depths of what lies ahead are limitless.
To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.
 As an advocate for exposing the flaws of American-style capitalism as the culprit of many of the complex issues of modernity, Arundhati Roy is a model for the kind of global, active and human rights oriented woman I aspire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment