Tuesday, June 5, 2012

bsalama (with peace)

Salma's first birthday party
Wrapping everything up in Morocco was difficult to say the least. From last-minute gifts, to errands, to saying goodbye to vendors who turned into friends, I had so much to do. Time slipped through my fingers and the day of my departure crept up quickly. I left a lot behind; partially because I bought so many gifts that my suitcase was overflowing and also because as I started the selection process, Naima began giving her two-cents on what she wouldn't mind having. So I didn't mind parting with some of the clothes that I brought. Speaking of those clothes, they were absolutely falling apart. I don't know if it was because the hard minerals in the water, the new detergent or the fact that they were hung dry and super crunchy every time I got them back, but my clothes and Morocco were not meant to be.

I had a very tearful goodbye. Naima and I hugged for a long time, minutes it seemed, as we cried into each others shoulders (more like her into my chest). We had gotten so close over four months, despite our different languages and misunderstandings. Salma knew something was different. I think she could sense it from my bags being downstairs or how everyone's pace was a little rapid. I held her for a long time as well, and she didn't squirm or want to play. She just rested on me and talked to my face closely. I miss her like crazy right now. I cried from before I left the house, as Abdellah was walking me through the medina to get a taxi, as I said goodbye to Abdellah and as I rode in the taxi. Morocco did so much for me.

Rob, Brennan, Chris, Connor and me
We spent one last night at Mawazine, watching Lenny Kravitz sing "American Woman" and "Fly Away". I met such amazing people in Rabat, Americans and Moroccans. It was amazing how close we all became throughout the semester; we all really needed each other at times. Saying goodbye at the train station the morning of the 26th was hard. For me it was the kind of bubble in my throat, tears in my eyes, quiet goodbye because otherwise I would have been a puddle on the floor. I will really miss my close friends, they know who they are and I have faith that we will see each other again.

But now, I am off to Lisbon with my friends Lex, Brennan and her little sister Camille, for the start of our European travels! More posts to come about my travels there.

Brennan, myself and Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment