Monday, March 26, 2012

medina mysteries

Medina Mysteries: A Series Mysteries That Will Forever Remain Unsolved 


There are two men who threatened my friend, Rashid, with a knife, saying he can't come around this area again because I am married to one of them. Who are these men? When did I get married? How did they remember Rashid from him walking by with me one time?

The man who rides his bike up and down Sidi Fatha (my street), over and over again, specifically targeting people and beeping his squeaky horn at them. Why does bike man do this? Why does he try to run over small children? Why can't he try to run over medina cats? If he is targeting people, why does he then squeak his horn at them?

There is a drunk who hangs around the crossroad (what we call the cross of two streets in front of a mosque) in the morning while I'm waiting for a friend to walk to class. It is no later than 8:00 when he is there. Why is he drunk already? Is he drunk from the night before? Is he Muslim (if so, shuma)? Will he ever remember that I don't want to buy the khobz he offers me from a stand that he doesn't even run?

The call to prayer happens five times a day. That, I understand. Every single time I start to doze off while laying in the sun on my terrace, the imam starts the afternoon call to prayer and I am startled and taken from my near sleep. Why does this happen every time? Can the imam see me from the mosque just about to reach sleep? If I wear my ear plugs, will I still hear it?

Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him? No doubt, I will encounter more mysteries in my next three months.




No comments:

Post a Comment