Tuesday, February 21, 2012

real talkin' Rabat

Salam aalikum! A lot has happened since I last wrote, and with my internet being so slow (I will add pictures to this post when I am at the IES Center), I can't even pull up my blog to see where I left off! I'm trying not to let the spotty internet get to me because it is such a first world problem. I need to embrace this slower pace of life while I can...I don't mean to say that I'm not busy though.

My days are full of classes, exploring, speaking French, converting dollars to dirhams, sitting on the cleanest public transport I've ever seen, dodging cats, and making weekend trip plans. Unfortunately, I'm feeling pretty sick today. I think it is a combination of change in air quality, temperature (specifically sleeping in the cold), and being worn down. Nevertheless, the week is ahead of me and there is so much to do! I just received a call informing that I will be moving into a homestay tomorrow! I will be staying with a couple who speaks French and a little bit of english. They have a western toilet!!! But, definitely, what I am most excited for, is that they have a 9 month old, named Salma. I can't wait.

This past weekend was our first in Rabat and we really needed it. By Thursday, I was stirring to get out and explore. Most of the group of students went to a reggae bar called Yakoot. A lot of times we use the expression "hole in the wall" to describe how concealed a place may be...but you would never use that expression the same way after coming to Morocco. Places are literally holes in the walls. They appear out of nowhere, and then you step inside, typically down a few stairs, and it is huge, and full of people and it is loud. And I wonder..."How in the world did I not hear this from outside? And how in the world do people find out about places like this?"
Friday, I went with a smaller group of students and a few Moroccans to a lounge/club called Bombay in the Agdal district, kind of upper-crusty, or just with more nightlife. We walked in and were shocked by how modern and posh it was. The walls were padded with white leather, and there were fluorescent lights and floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Does it sound like I just described a mental institution? Within 30 minutes, it turned from a classy dinner restaurant into a club, equipped with DJ and dance floor.
Finally, on Saturday, I went with a small group to Kasbah des Oudaias. It is a small neighborhood surrounded by an ancient fortress. Half of it looks out on the BouRegreg River and the other half cannot see out because of the fortress walls. In some of the fortress, we toured an art exhibit, and then, ever so kindly, a man offered to show us the ancient prison for 10DH each...It was probably a scam but we keep asking ourselves, what is $1.20? It's less than a Twix for goodness' sake. The prison was used in the early 100s, when Rabat was threatened by pirates. They would imprison people for periods of time, if you came back, your arms would be cut off, and if there was a third visit, that was it for you.  It seemed magical to live in the Oudaias, not to be confused with the prison. At the very center there is a garden, which, apparently, at full bloom, is breathtakingly gorgeous.



I have contemplated a lot of things while being here in this short time. Of all times, this should be the easiest to break habits and create new ones, so I have a few in mind. Islam is beautiful. Waking up to the call to prayer by an Imam in the morning, and hearing four more throughout the day has planted a seed in my mind. If the purpose of praying five times a day is to always keep God on your mind, and to consistently prove through your actions that your life is for God, why shouldn't I try that too? So my first goal is to pray five times throughout the day, and to truly ask myself "What if tomorrow you woke up with only what you gave thanks for the night before?" Secondly, and this seems very minor, but if you know me, you know that I am always, non-stop, picking at my fingernails. That must stop. Next, I am joining a weekly Bible study and yoga group. If I introduce more time for reflection in my life, I think I can become a better person. Through small realizations, I can find out what matters most. Think of how many doors I can open for myself!



This weekend, a big group of students in my program is heading to Marrakech, the biggest city. It is not only my 21st birthday, but two other students, so it will be fun to have a weekend out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment